Friday, May 20, 2011

YoYo Ma(y) Quilt











I was inspired by a design called "Posies" from the book Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again, by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran to create this bright and light wall hanging for spring this year.
I used to not like yo yos -- in fact, I really disliked yo yos, thinking they were too old fashioned and limiting - until I saw them used in this design. So I bought a package of yo yo maker plastic circles and went to town. Friends laughed that I needed a "maker" -- when they are so easy to make "by hand." But I resisted -- until one day, the dawn dawned, I tossed those plastic makers, and I became a yo you making yo yo. But, I promised myself "just for THIS quilt." I think I probably will keep that promise, but I'm pretty pleased with how this happy spring quilt brightens my wall. Notice the one block on the lower right - this poor wilted flower in its pot most closely resembles the flowers that I try to grow in my house and in my garden -- but I keep hoping that some day, my thumb will turn green and my real flowers will more closely resemble the bright puffy and fresh yo yos in this wall hanging.

4 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

Love the yo-yo flowers. The colors are so bright and cheerful.

mb. said...

so much fun! I love the yoyo flowers.

Anonymous said...

Love!
Especially love how you used such an old fashioned, and often hated (me) making of the yo-yo's!! I may need to rethink this when I don't have to make a gazillion for one quilt!

Eileen said...

Absolutely darling and so fun! Love your story. I made a cazillion yo yo's awhile ago but haven't figured out how to use them. This would be good inspiration. Thanks for sharing and have a great day